I never knew about this kind of a veggie burger until I was visiting Johnson & Wales University. A nutrition lab made mini edamame & cashew burgers on buns with slaw. They were delicious. I never did get the recipe, so I recreated it at home. It makes a great lunchbox especially for Spring! It’s even fun for little ones because of the color. You could do this for St.Patricks day. Or on a Shrek movie night. You can convince the kids that these green burgers are “Shrek” burgers! You know they’ll go for it. It’s simple, check it out, this is all you are going to need:
Yields: 4 burgers
- 1 bag (10oz) shelled edamame, defrosted
- 1/3 c roasted cashews
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 3-4 T light soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c panko crumbs
- dash of pepper or siracha
- salt, if desired
- 1-2 T olive oil
1. Place cashews in the bowl of the food processor. Process for about 30 seconds, until tiny in size, but not powdery.
2. Next, place defrosted, room temperature edamame in food processor. Also add, green onion, garlic, soy sauce and pepper. Pulse until blended to a paste-like consistency.
3. Add egg to processor. Process for a little longer, until smooth and uniform.
4. Scrape contents from the food processor into a large mixing bowl. Add panko crumbs. Mix well with hands and form 4 burger patties. (Optional: you can coat the burgers with additional panko crumbs, if you would like a crust on your burger)
5. In an cast iron skillet, place 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil, and get it very hot. Make sure its a large enough pan so you can comfortably turn over the burgers. Place burgers in hot skillet, cook for about 3 minutes on each side.